Use of Thinking Maps within schools is a beneficial tool for responding to text across genres and grade levels. This is a writing unit, focused on responding to the mentor text, "Thank you, Sarah The Woman Who Saved Thanksgiving" by Laurie Halse Anderson. Included are explanatory/informative, opinion, and narrative prompts!
You will find:
- A classroom poster for before and after reading containing an influential quote that depicts the series of events in Sarah Hale's life as she fights for what she believes in. Show this quote before and after reading, holding a discussion at both points of the lesson. How have their thoughts changed? What events in Sarah's life lead you to believe that this quote is true? Who represents the pen? Who represents the sword? Use these questions to encourage higher order thinking!
- Four pre-teaching vocabulary cards: peace, unity, culture, and tradition
- Informational/non-fiction text, "Thank You, Sarah Hale!" This non fiction text goes further into depth about Sarah's history, additional accomplishments, and her life.
- Writing Standards Poster (1st grade)
- How are Flee Maps used? Teacher reference page
- Flee Map black line (A Flee Map, derived from Thinking Maps, is a combination of the Tree Map and Flow Map. This map provides students with a tool to organize their writing effectively, putting their ideas in order. This map could be used for any writing genre.
- Writing Outline/Flee Map Poster: Print and laminate to use on any Focus Wall and/or place in a page protector within student writing folders. I even run this through a poster maker to make an instant anchor chart!
- Writing Outline/Flee Map Poster: Specific to explanatory/informational, narrative, and opinion writing. The outline includes sentence starters for both the opening and closing sentences as well as transition words.
- Writing rubrics for each genre
- Guided Flee Map with writing prompts for each writing genre
- Writing paragraph (continued planning) outlines
- Rough draft and final copy paper
Thank you for downloading! Follow my store for other writing lessons using Thinking Map planning!
KG Drops of Jupiter Font
KG Always a Good Time Font
KG SecondChances Chalkboard Font
KG Chasing Cars Font
D'Nealian Style Family Fonts-Fonts4Teachers
Stella Jumbo Papers and Clip Art-Teaching Super Power
Doodle Face Pencil Clipart By Krista Wallden
Thanksgiving Clip Art By Kate Hadfield Designs