Ready to kick off Thanksgiving? Do it with this 3-day pack of activities. It is aligned to common core standards and appropriate for grades 3-5.
In addition to this packet, you will need scissors, glue, and colored pencils (or markers, crayons...).
Day 1 - word work and written strategies
- Vocabulary: There are 16 Thanksgiving themed vocabulary cards. Excellent for English language learners!
- Mixing It Up: Unscramble the same 16 words from the vocabulary cards. Then, follow a prompt to write a story including those words.
- Getting Together: Combining Sentences practice
Day 2: - Facts and Opinions
- Turkey Talk: Read this nonfiction passage to learn more about the star of Thanksgiving - the turkey.
- Fact and Opinion Sorting Activity: cut out and sort the vegetables into fact and opinion categories. Arrange and glue the facts onto the 'fact-opia' and the opinions onto the 'opinion-opia'.
- Turkey Fact and Opinion: Students write and illustrate their favorite turkey fact and a turkey opinion.
Day 3: - Writing a Poem
Thankful Acrostic Poem: Depending on level, students write a word, phrase, or sentence that begin with each letter of 'thankful'. They can color and decorate their poem and then share with the class.
Black and White copies of the entire pack is included for your convenience.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
Copyright (c) 2012 bbap