Thanksgiving Close Read is a unit that focuses on the amazing story of Molly's Pilgrim
written by Barbara Cohen . Your students will share a genuine story about celebrating differences while staying academically focused.
This 36-page unit includes
- A mini-literature unit on Molly's Pilgrim with the following items:
- Before reading activity
- During reading comprehension activity
- After reading essay questions
- A Venn Diagram activity
- A "Design a Pilgrim" activity
* Thanksgiving themed math games and activities
- Turkey Trot game where students practice addition and subtraction facts to "trot" across a farmer's field
- Thanksgiving Word Math Problems
- Harvest Doubles, Addition and Subtraction game where students use knowledge of facts to capture the biggest and smallest numbers.
- Colorful Turkeys activity where student attempt to discover
how many different color combinations they can use to color
- Facts Orchard games where students use knowledge of
basic facts to "harvest" the most apples
* Mayflower Compact Social Studies and Writing Activities
- Using Molly's Pilgrim as a springboard, your students will
write a class "compact" that outlines how they will behave and
treat one another similar to the Mayflower Compact written by
- A Create a Character activity that helps students see how
unkind words can hurt others
* Thankful Writing Activities
- Thankful Writing activity, students will use a thesaurus and
other reference materials (including technology) to find synonyms for thankful
- Many Ways to Say Thanks activity, students will write 5 new
ways to thank someone
This unit is loaded with fun activities and meaningful content. All activities are specifically designed and aligned with the Common Core Standards for 2nd Grade. It is perfect for the days or week leading up to Thanksgiving!
This unit was originally created by Alexis Sergi (Math Mojo) and with permission granted was adapted for 2nd grade. If you are interested in the fourth grade version, be sure to check it out at Thanksgiving Unit: Thankful to the Core (4th Grade)
You Might Also Like...
Christmas Close Read with the Polar Express
Christmas Close Read with Christmas Trolls
Common Core Christmas Book Study on Yes Virginia by Chris Plehal
Common Core Christmas Contractions
Holidays Matter: A Holiday Investigation Into Solids, Liquids, and Gasses
Informational Text for Christmas (Short Passages about Christmas Symbols)
My Pinterest Boards: Trina's Pinterest Boards
My Facebook Fan Page:Trina Deboree Teaching and Learning
Thank you! Happy Thanksgiving!