Build vocabulary and background knowledge of Thanksgiving with Thanksgiving Day by Gail Gibbons. Target literacy, language and listening skills with this accompanying literature unit! This book and unit will give students an understanding of the history of Thanksgiving as well as insight into how people celebrate Thanksgiving today! This book companion includes the following activities:
1. Sequencing and Retelling Cards
2. Comprehension Questions with the choice of two picture answers
3. Rhyme Sort: Sort cards with like rhymes.
4. Thanksgiving Book Hunt: Targeting attributes and functions
5. Indian Inquiries Game: Targeting formulating and asking WH- questions
6. Summary: Create a summary of the book using pictures and the SOMEBODY-WANTED-BUT-SO-THEN-FINALLY template.
7. Thanksgiving Feast Open-Ended Game: Target any skill using these game mats and cards.
Your students are sure to have fun and build skills with this book companion!
1. The book, Thanksgiving Day by Gail Gibbons, is not included with this book companion unit.
2. I used the word “Indians” and not “Native Americans” as this is the term that is used in the book. It would be advantageous, though, to discuss the old verbiage vs. the new verbiage with your students.