Also included in
- Pulling together a folder of ELA activities for middle school just got super easy. Here's a simple way to make sure you are ready for a variety of holidays and free time with a bundle of totally fun, different, and engaging breakouts and escape rooms. This bundle contains our popular origami breakou$26.26$32.82Save $6.56
This Thanksgiving ELA resource is more than just a Thanksgiving escape room, turkey craftivity, breakout, color by number activity, cootie-catcher -- it's a team-building journey for your students that requires almost no prep from you! Just print or assign and go!
Here's how these Thanksgiving ELA activities work:
- It all starts with reconstructing a powerful quote from John F. Kennedy on giving thanks: "As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them."
- Next, an unusual logic puzzle is presented -- your kids will be challenged to read carefully to figure out the rules of Thanksgiving dinner.
- The journey continues on to a fun crossword search puzzle -- students solve crossword-style clues to find the answers in a word search grid. There's a funny Thanksgiving riddle to solve that will make even the most jaded older kids giggle.
- And finally, there's the prize -- the lovely, lovely prize. Based on their answers to the other puzzles, students use the key provided to color in the turkey-themed Coloring Page. Cut it out, fold it up cootie catcher-style (instructions with diagrams provided), and there's a cool origami turkey as a prize. It's self-grading! If the students did not solve the other puzzles correctly, the coloring of the turkey will be clearly incorrect. And it's not obvious beforehand how to color the turkey - it may LOOK obvious, but it is not! It's a disguised turkey!
All of the answers are included, even a properly colored-in turkey. All you have to provide is markers or colored pencils and scissors. No physical locks or Google forms required!
Use in small groups for team-building.
Kids can even do the puzzles independently.
Every worksheet page is black and white so it's easy on your printer (there are a couple of color answer key pages if you want to project them and discuss as a class afterward).
Your students will get a prize they can take home with them.
Teaches logic, vocabulary, ELA, social studies, and perseverance.
And if your kids enjoyed this activity, try our new Christmas make-your-own silly green elf activity!
If you would like this resource to use with elementary school students, here's our Thanksgiving activities for elementary.
P.S. --- A teacher asked a question in our Q & A about shortening the time required. Here's what you can do if you don’t have a full 60 – 90 minutes for this activity:
Making your own turkey (Puzzle #4) depends on the answers to the previous three puzzles, but it is easy to skip one or more of these puzzles due to time constraints.
1. You can skip Puzzle #1 (the quotation puzzle) and, in the blank spaces for Puzzle #3, write the letters “THEMTHEMTHEMTHEM.”
2. You can also skip Puzzle #2 and, on the sheet for Puzzle #4, circle these numbers on the top row: 2, 3, 7, 9 and 11.
This leaves two puzzles in the activity (#3 and #4), which should be solvable in 30-40 minutes.