“Thanksgiving Math – Addition Word Problems" is a hands-on activity that reinforces reading, writing, and the solving of very simple addition word problems ... sums to ten. Ten worksheets – with graphics - are included.
Reference: CCSS - K.OA.A.1 and K.OA.A.2
Suggested use is for K - 1. Note that this resource is primarily meant to be a fun, seasonal activity and used for review and reinforcement of basic addition word problems.
• Being physically engaged helps younger students succeed
• Manipulation of materials helps them build good eye-hand coordination skills, which include the fine motor skills necessary for reading and writing
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” - Benjamin Franklin
The student will …
• Read and then TRACE the words in the addition word problem story
• Find the correct kind and number of “pilgrims and/or Indians” (graphics needed are included), and then cut and paste them onto the top of the worksheet in the space provided
• Differentiation: Students may draw and color, instead of cutting and pasting
• Now, the student can write the problem and its answer on the lines shown at the bottom of the worksheet
• Last, the student will write the name of the main topic of each word problem on the line at the top of the worksheet. Ideas for naming the main topic are included
Extension: Make a bulletin board to display their work. Add an eye-catching heading. (See the main topic suggestions.)
Thanksgiving math, addition word problems, math center
Copyright © 2013 Lynda Smith Davis www.funny-first-grade-people.com
Graphics are from http://www.scrappindoodles.com
Exception is image of autumn tree © Graphics Factory.com All rights reserved.