THANKSGIVING READING PASSAGE, WRITING AND WORD SEARCH is a lesson for thinking about why the Pilgrims were grateful at a time when they had to endure so many hardships. A Venn Diagram gives students a chance to compare giving thanks today versus giving thanks long ago.
Read aloud the one page passage about the first Thanksgiving, or hand out to students who are able to read at a third grade level.Other activities include writing prompts, a Venn Diagram, a cornucopia page, and a word search to wrap it up.The writing prompts are differentiated.
This lesson pack gives students the opportunity to compare and contrast what they are thankful to those things for which the Pilgrims were thankful. They explore this concept through writing prompts and a Venn diagram, which can be used in discussion prior to writing.
7 student pages--some in color and black/white
1. Short reading passage about the first Thanksgiving
2. Writing prompt: “Giving Thanks” –Why the pilgrims were thankful
3. Writing prompt: “Giving Thanks”—Why I am thankful
4. Venn Diagram: Compare and Contrast (Me vs. Pilgrims) “We are thankful for..."
5. Challenge Writing: Make a Connection (conservaton/natural resources)
5. Cornucopia- Draw/add pictures of things that you are thankful for!
6. Word search and answer key
This can be a helpful supplement to your Thanksgiving lessons, for independent work, homework, or literacy center work.
My Growing Smart Readers Blog