Looking for some fun Thanksgiving activities that incorporate science, technology, engineering, and/or math?
The basic premise:
Students work in partners or groups against criteria & constraints lists to design and build Thanksgiving-themed devices. Modification suggestions are included to make these challenges engaging and productive for students in grades 2 - 8. This bundle includes five challenges at a 40% discount!
• Though the Pumpkin Picker and Corn Cultivator challenges could be interchanged, the recommended order is based on the following story line:
– Pilgrims come to America (Mini Mayflower)
– Pilgrims require shelter (Protect-a-Pilgrim)
– Pilgrims gather food (Pumpkin Picker)
– Pilgrims begin organized agriculture (Corn Cultivator)
– With food & shelter in place, Pilgrims have time for fun and games (Turkey Transporter)
NOTE: You can save even more by purchasing this bundle as part of the STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE!!!
Multiple iterations are recommended to get the most student benefit, but these can also be treated as one-off activities.
Note: Each resource in this product was updated in Sept. 30, 2016. Be sure to re-download if you already own this!
Benefits of STEM Design Challenges:
- Focus on critical thinking, problem solving, and application of learning
- High levels of student engagement
- The potential to hit upon all NGSS ETS standards depending on the depth and number of iterations you choose to implement in your classroom (modifications included)
- Highly flexible and differentiated for materials, timing, grade levels, and rigor.
Each design iteration should be planned for approximately 60 min. Again, I recommend working on STEM Design Challenges in multiple iterations to get the full value.
Materials you’ll need to do the activity are easily modified. Materials lists can be found in the product descriptions for each individual challenge linked above.
• Overall STEM Tips
- Suggestions on timing whether or not to treat these challenges as competitions
- What to say (and what not to say) during STEM Challenges
- 5-event Data Tracker handout
Plus, each challenge comes with:
• NGSS aligned standards, Grades 2 – 8
• Teacher Tips
- Links to video walk-throughs for each challenge
- Links to my 5-part video series on getting started with STEM challenges
- Premise & Set-up
- Materials and timing
- Modifying Criteria & Constraints to adjust challenge difficulty
- Measuring results
- Post-design extension activities list
- Universal STEM Challenge Tips/how to use the handouts
• Student Handouts
- Criteria & Constraints List (editable version provided)
- Design Analysis Handouts (2-page regular spacing and 4-page expanded spacing for primary students included)
- Discussion Questions
• Extension templates
- Process Flow Map
- Math Extension
- Plus other design-specific handouts (see each individual challenge product description page for more details)
What are teachers saying about this bundle?
"This is an extremely well-thought out unit that incorporates math, science and even reading. This was worth every dime spent-thanks!"
“Excellent resource. Activities are challenging and engaging.”
“WOW! Loved using this resource! The kids loved the activities! I was so surprised by all the information and activities you provided at such a great price. Thank you!!”
“My students and I loved these STEM activities. They really challenged the students to think deep!! Thank you!”
“Amazing STEM activities that my fourth graders absolutely loved!”
“Very detailed explanations using everyday items for holiday stem activities.”
“So much fun! It really got the students thinking outside the box!I used these lessons for the first time last year. I can't wait to use them again this year!”
“Fabulous resource full of wonderful activities!”
You might also like these products:
STEM CHALLENGE YEAR-ROUND MEGA-BUNDLE
Halloween STEM Design Challenge 5-in-1 Bundle
Winter_Christmas 5-in-1 STEM Challenge Bundle (2nd – 8th)
Valentine’s Day 5-in-1 STEM Challenge Bundle (2nd – 8th)
Thanksgiving Parts of Speech Activity (2nd – 3rd)
Photosynthesis: Hands-on Modeling Activity
Analyze and Interpret Data Unit
Getting Started with STEM Challenges FREEBIE