November is one of those months where we want to focus on the Mayflower and Thanksgiving, however how about a little twist this year? Use STEM connections to teach culturally responsive lessons that incorporate kindness, working through adversity, and sharing of traditions and favorite celebratory meals.
Finding ways to teach both sides of history as well as connect our students with hands on STEM challenges allows for any educator to find a way to teach holidays differently. Three STEM challenges included, writing connections, video links, and picture book ideas as well as supply lists, STEM How to sheets and record sheets!
STEM Challenges Include:
Build the Mayflower out of supplies given by your teacher, focus is on learning about the adversity and struggles that the Pilgrims went through and how we can deal with struggles of our own when we are struggling, too.
2. Let’s Talk Traditions: Thanksgiving Table STEM challenge and cultural connections that focus on sharing of favorite family meals, celebrations that we take part in, and what a Thanksgiving meal looks like in our homes
3. The Wampanoags and their role in the Pilgrim’s survival/ Food Pouch/Container creation along with a connection to kindness, helping others, and what outcomes could be (this is a great opportunity to tie in Native American History, making connections to the past)
Check out my blog at: http://www.scienceschoolyard.com/ for more great science ideas!
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
• Please go to your My Purchases page
• Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button.
• Click it. Give a quick rating & leave a short comment for the product.
• Your feedback will give you credits to use on future TPT purchases.
• If there is a small mistake on an item, or you have suggestions/constructive criticism, please let me know under the Q and A section before leaving negative feedback! Please give me a chance to fix it and improve my product. Thanks!
☺Follow me & receive updates about my products:
• Look for the green star next to my store logo.
• Click it to become a follower.
• Voila! You will now receive email updates about new products in my store.
• My new products are 20% off the first 48 hours after going on TPT…following me will save you money
The Science School Yard can help you make science simple with: task cards, stations, FOSS supplementals and review, STEM, NGSS and more!