This STEM project explores what every home chef in America struggles with-thawing a turkey! You freeze the "turkey" (No turkeys will be harmed in this experiment-just erasers in deep freeze!) and they create a system to thaw it within a 3 hour time limit. You decide what materials to provide for students to create their system. Some ideas might include styrofoam cups, plastic bags, small containers, and other random classroom items that they creatively come up with!
This is part of my Holiday STEM Bundle! Check out the BUNDLE TO SAVE and to have Holiday Fun from Thanksgiving to New Years!
Look What's Inside Turkey Thaw STEM!
For the Teacher
• Notes for the Teacher including Prep Work, Material Suggestions and instructions
for the video that students watch from the online source
• A Problem Description Page
• Project Criteria and Constraints
• ASK Page "Is there a better way to thaw a turkey?"
• ASK Video link page
• IMAGINE Direction page
• PLAN Directions with further criteria
• CREATE Direction page
• IMPROVE Directions page where students are prompted to make improvements.
• ALL of the above pages in a COLOR option
• TIME TO THAW Color page
• IMAGINE student work page
• ASK student work page to record information about thawing and freezing
• PLAN student work page
• CREATE student work page
• TIME AND OBSERVATION student work page
• IMPROVE student work page
• REFLECT student work page where students answer reflection questions
• QUOTE page in black and white
• QUOTE page in color
PowerPoint Includes :
• Title slide similar to the cover of the product
• A Delicious Problem slide
• ASK slide
• ASK slide video page
• IMAGINE slide
• PLAN slide
• CREATE slide
• TIME TO THAW slide
• IMPROVE slide
• Project quote slide
Materials suggested for this project include rubber pencil tip erasers as turkeys, Dixie Cups (middle sized or any other cup that can be torn away from the frozen ice) for freezing the "turkeys", and supplies for students to build with, such as styrofoam cups, small containers, plastic bags, pipe cleaners, and any other materials students can think of! Just search your own classroom for ideas!
Read about how I used this in my classroom and why I will use it twice!
Other Items You May Be Interested In:
Scientist Craftivity: A Project Based Learning Product
What is Energy with Erma and Ernie Energy
Force and Motion: Santa's Force and Motion Workshop
Halloween Science: Mad Scientist at Work
Please be sure to follow me for new products, 1/2 price for a limited time! Also, all TPT Teachers love feedback! Please take a minute after you download to share how you feel about any product you download!
Julie from The Best Days :)
Follow The Best Days on Facebook
Follow The Best Days on Instagram
Follow The Best Days at The Best Days Blog