Are you looking for a creative way to teach the elements of plot, as well as short story writing around the Thanksgiving season? This Thanksgiving short story flip book is not only fun to complete, but also a convenient size that can be stored in a desk, binder or interactive notebook for quick reference when writing. Follow the directions and prompts in the flip book and successfully write a FESTIVE
short story from start to finish! Assembly instructions are included with your download. The size of the book is approximately 6 3/4" x 4 3/4".
- Begin your lesson with the short story elements
handout included in this file. The handout reviews 15 items necessary to any short story including the explanations and definitions for effective leads, dialogue, direct speech, protagonist, antagonist, mood, tone, literary devices, plot structure (diagram), exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and conclusion. An answer key has been provided!
- Next, get writing! Once your students have a better understanding of what's required in the various elements of plot, they can begin to brainstorm their short story ideas using the step-by-step
instructions in their six-tab story flip book
! The final page in the flip book includes 100 Thanksgiving-themed words.
- Add creativity to the short stories by having students randomly select characters and setting prompts (12 provided for each category). Simply, cut out the character and setting prompts, place face down on a table, and have students randomly select some Thanksgiving-themed ideas
to incorporate into their own stories.
- Finally, to ensure your students' tales are full of the details that are required in a short story, an additional full-page short story writing organizer
has been included, as well as a character building handout
, which will review and expand the elements plot and character again, but in more detail.
Looking for more creative Thanksgiving ideas for your classroom?
• Thanksgiving Career Project
Individual flip books:
(Currently available in my store)
• Story writing flip book
• Halloween story flip book
• Christmas story flip book
★ Click *HERE*
to view ALL of my ELA skills flip books and their individual product links
and click *HERE*
for the ELA Mini Flip Book Bundle
Check out the FREE preview to have a look closer look at the activity.
© The Classroom Sparrow