This product is intended to help students develop phonological awareness with syllables and is designed with a Thanksgiving theme for pictures and words throughout the product. It features cute instructional posters that reinforce the definition of a syllable as well as a poster guide for vowel sounds. These posters are great to use during instructional time as supportive materials, or you can put them on display for student reference during independent activities.
Additionally, this product contains three excellent activities for building phonological awareness. The activities are differentiated to meet the needs of students at different stages of development with phonological awareness. Read the following descriptions of each activity below:
* For students who need to build phonological awareness with syllables: Use the “Say, Tap, & Count” activity. This activity features picture cards, which should be cut apart into the same number of pieces as the syllables contained in the words. (The cards feature dotted lines for easy, even cutting.) Lay cards for one picture in front of the student. He/she pronounces the word for the picture. Then he/she touches each part of the picture while saying each syllable in the word. The separate parts for each picture help the student visualize and count the syllables in the word while hearing each syllable as it is pronounced. This is best used during a guided small-group session so you can correct or reinforce skills as needed.
* For students who have developed greater independence with hearing and counting syllables: Use the “Sort It Out!” activity. This activity features numbered header cards for a pocket chart or a table as well as corresponding picture cards. Each student draws one picture card. He/she pronounces the word for the picture and counts each syllable he/she hears in the word. Then the student places the picture card under the number that matches the number of syllables in the word. This may be used as a small group activity or as an independent learning center.
* For students who have developed independence with hearing syllables and are able to manipulate syllables within a word: Use the “Change It!” activity. This activity features twenty instructional cards for a listening/speaking activity. The teacher reads aloud the instructions as printed on each card. The student(s) listen and follow the instructions to substitute syllables and make a new word. The students say the new word aloud. Each card contains the answer as well as instructions. This is intended for use in a small group or one-on-one session with students.
The following materials are included with each activity:
* A title poster that also describes which students should use that activity (for easy organization and differentiation of activities).
* A corresponding “I Can” statement poster.
* An instructions poster that applies to the teacher (for preparation) as well as the student (for engagement).
Throughout this product, I utilized a font that is supportive for children with dyslexia, so these materials should be conducive to students who may display dyslexic characteristics.
Please view the preview file for an accurate visual representation of this product.
Want to know about upcoming product launches and freebies from the Tally Tales TPT store? Click the green star below my store logo, and become a Tally Tales follower! :)