Included in this pack is 9 engaging activities to help build your students’ knowledge of The 13 Original Colonies in grades 4-6!
1. Reader’s Theater- Take your students back in time with this 20 part reader's theater on the 13 Original Colonies! Narrator William Bradford tells why the colonies were formed, what life was like in the 1600’s, and who the important historical figures were such as Christopher Columbus, William Penn, Roger Williams, Thomas Hooker, Anne Hutchinson, John Smith, Squanto, Pocahontas, John Carver, John Winthrop, the Pilgrims, the Quakers, and the Puritans. Multiple speaking parts provide opportunities for high, middle, and low reading levels.
2. Building the 13 Colonies Board Game - Students compete with each other on their knowledge of the 13 colonies by trying to answer questions and get to the end of the game first.
3. Writing a newspaper article on the first permanent settlement of Jamestown.
4. Creating an Instagram account for a historical colonist.
5. Tic Tac Toe Show What You Know Project where students select three projects to complete to show their knowledge of a historical colonist. Projects are designed to excite all learning styles: kinesthetic, tactual, visual, auditory, musical, reading and writing.
6. Puzzle Activity where students match each colonist to their accomplishments.
7. Creating a brochure to showcase a new colony and persuade English citizens to immigrate across the Atlantic Ocean.
9. Word search