THIRTEEN COMPLETE Colonies Lessons of Nonfiction Informational Text with engaging hands-on activities + TWENTY TWO INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK ASSIGNMENTS to explore the history of each of the Thirteen Original Colonies, including the New England colonies, Middle Colonies, and Southern colonies:
New Hampshire Colony
New York Colony
Rhode Island Colony
North Carolina Colony
New Jersey Colony
South Carolina Colony
ACTIVITIES INCLUDED IN THIS INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT:
• Questions after each of the 13 Lessons to assess Informational Text Comprehension
• Thirteen Colonies Mapping Study Guide and Mapping Quiz
• Grid Math utilizing Letter Coordinates to solve a Mystery Puzzle
• Following Written Directions activities to practice Functional Text Comprehension
• Differentiating between Primary and Secondary Sources
• Primary and Secondary Source Research Project and Game~all materials included!
• Map Skills using Cardinal and Intermediate Directions to plot points of interest
• KWLH Charts
• Vocabulary Activities and Quizzes
Students will practice Functional Text Comprehension by following written directions to make a 3D Miniature Log Cabin. All Patterns and step-by-step directions included!
Students will then use the Thirteen Colonies Content to complete TWENTY TWO Interactive Notebook Assignments (all patterns and step-by-step instructions included!):
• TWO One-Pocket Vocabulary Organizers
• FOUR Vocabulary Flaps
• TWO Vocabulary Foldables
• TWO Vocabulary Booklets
• THREE Vocabulary Cootie Catchers
• Virginia Colony Accordion Foldable
• New Hampshire Colony Flip Book
• George Calvert Journal Page and Famous Person Wheel
• Connecticut Colony Interactive Time Line
• Roger Williams and Anne Hutchinson Find the Fib Game
• North Carolina Colony Cause and Effect Organizers
• New Jersey Pocket Time Line
• Famous Colonists Four-Fold Organizer
• James Oglethorpe Journal Page and Interactive Booklet
During their study of the 13 Original Colonies, students will read biographies of these famous Colonists and Native American leaders:
Sir Walter Raleigh
13 Colonies, aligned with the 3rd-5th Grade Common Core Standards (see Preview for Standard Alignment), is one of NINE units in our Common Core-aligned American History Bundle. Purchase this unit separately or save money by purchasing the entire Common Core-aligned AMERICAN HISTORY ULTIMATE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE
We've included a context-appropriate Glossary, Answer Pages, and Grading Rubrics for the higher-level Interactive Notebook assignments.
Download the 13 Colonies Preview to see the complete Table of Contents, Lesson Plans, Common Core Alignment, as well as sample lessons and activities.
OUR OTHER COMMON CORE ALIGNED AMERICAN HISTORY UNITS:
NEW WORLD EXPLORERS INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
SPANISH EXPLORERS INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
AMERICAN GOVERNMENT INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
AMERICAN REVOLUTION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
SLAVERY INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
CIVIL WAR INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
WESTWARD EXPANSION INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
WORLD WAR I INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK UNIT
AMERICAN HISTORY ULTIMATE INTERACTIVE NOTEBOOK BUNDLE
RATING 13 COLONIES EARNS YOU TPT CREDITS TO USE TOWARD FUTURE PURCHASES AND GIVES US A WARM FUZZY FEELING!
(c) 2011-Splash! Publications. Permission is granted to original purchasers to reproduce material as designated only for classroom use. No other part of this work may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means including information storage and retrieval systems without written permission from the publisher, except by a reviewer, who may quote brief passages in a review.
The Common Core Standards were developed and written by the NGA. © Copyright 2010. National Governors Association Center for Best Practices and Council of Chief State School Officers. All rights reserved.