14 WEEK UNIT PLAN: Addresses Common Core Standards in Reading, Writing, Speaking & Listening in Grades 9-12
This bundle will save you more than 120 hours of planning and provide you with at least 14 weeks worth of material for a 70 minute class period.
This unit has been a labor of love in the making for several years as I have edited, revised, and designed it to be a resource I am proud to share with you. I've done all the reading, writing, and research for you and have watched countless videos to find the gems that perfectly align with each chapter of The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens.
I continuously add to this bundle, and you will have free access to future materials.
♥ IN ADDITION TO WELL-CRAFTED COMPREHENSION QUESTIONS/JOURNAL PROMPTS FOR EACH CHAPTER, YOU'LL RECEIVE:
* 14 WEEK UNIT PLAN (see preview)
* Common Core Standards related to unit grades 9-12
* 12 daily lesson plans + blank lesson plan template
* VIDEO LIST (Ted Talks, etc): 33 suggested short videos (including links and summaries) to complement each chapter in Covey’s book. I typically front-load each chapter with a video and then show them intermittently as they are reading through each section. The videos help with comprehension by reinforcing the concepts within the book, and they help to keep students interested and engaged with the text.
* Pre and post assessment on core concepts addressed in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens
* 7 Habits anticipation guide/activity
* 30 DOL paragraphs ("daily oral language": grammar and punctuation exercises) that align with Covey's 7 Habits (includes highlighted teacher key)
* Handout: "What the Heck is a Clause?" includes definitions & color-coded examples of ICs and DCs
* Reflective essay prompt
* 9 paragraph exemplar reflective essay
* Reflective essay rubric
* Two essay skeleton guides to support emerging writers who may struggle with structure and coherence. The first guide provides minimal support, while the second is ideal for those in need of more explicit writing examples
* Mini Lesson: Comprehension questions for Jack Canfield's 60 minute You Tube Video entitled The Secret to Success (to complement Covey's 2nd habit: "Begin with the end in mind")
* Mini Lesson: Suggested Ted Talk aligned with Covey's teachings on paradigm and
5 page Article: "The Science of Happiness," which discusses the physiology behind emotions & how to manage/regulate one's own level of happiness
* Editable student checklist to reinforce the "habit of happiness"
* Mini Lesson: "Goal Setting Redefined" : Activity to complete after watching Ted Talk
* Mini Lesson: Summary assignment for Bart Baggett's Ted Talk: The
Neuropathways to Happiness. Includes sample summary and summary rubric
* UNIT: Argumentative essay unit supplementary material including:
~ 10 Daily lesson plans (included in the 12 total you'll receive in this bundle)
~ Suggested film prompt: Documentary style film: The Secret (available on NetFlix)
~ Film summary
~ Film comprehension questions
~ Argumentative essay structure guide
~ Exemplar argumentative essay
~ Argumentative essay rubric
* Presentation assignment and rubric
* Unit Outline Identifying Unit Cornerstones Including:
long term transfer goals
21st Century skills
breakdown of text alignment with common core skills
1. * TWENTY paragraph prompts (two for each topic) related to:
*Each prompt includes a short color-coded structure guide for reference and suggestions to help struggling writers with content and organization (can be edited out for experienced writers).
*Highlighted advanced vocabulary (can be edited out for experienced readers/writers)
2. An Editor’s Checklist
3. 4-Point Paragraph Rubric
4. One Exemplar Paragraph
5. Related Common Core Standards for Grades 7,8, 9/10, 11/12
I've used Sean Covey's The 7 Habits in my classroom for years, and my high school students - from every demographic and grade - absolutely love it.
Covey's wisdom can have a profound impact on students if they take the time to genuinely reflect on his teachings. This companion curriculum is designed to foster thoughtful introspection, critical thinking, and authentic social-emotional growth.
SECOND BONUS BUNDLE JUST ADDED:
I’ve recently included the following unit materials for The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom as I’ve found this novel to be a great segue from The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens. I try to teach one non-fiction and one fiction text every quarter (or semester), and these pair beautifully together.
The protagonist of The Five People is a man named Eddie who spent much of his life believing he had no purpose and focusing on what was bad and what he lost. Covey would refer to this as a “victimitus” mindset. As we read the novel, I challenge students to recognize which of the seven habits could have helped Eddie live a happier, more purposeful existence. This reinforces the principles from the 7 Habits while allowing students to see the possibilities of the real-life applications of Covey’s strategies. And, of course, they recognize that these proactive strategies can be applied in their own lives as well.
Few novels are as engaging--especially to reluctant readers--as The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom.
Students find the major themes in this novel relevant in their own lives, and in my 12 years of teaching, I have yet to have a student who hasn't enjoyed and learned from this text.
♥ In this second bundle you will receive ♥ :
Anticipation guide (5 group discussion prompts)
Comprehension Questions (20 questions)
Three essay prompts with three essay structure guides with sentences stems and
sample introductions and conclusions
Three creative project choices
Five "section summary" writing prompts
Literary term guide (blank: students must complete after reading novel)
Reading comprehension strategies handout
*Soon, I will be adding DOLs and videos that align with the novel along with teacher keys. If you purchase prior to these additions, you'll receive a notification to download file again for free with new additions.
* Free future access to additional materials as they are added to this bundle
♥ ♥ ♥ BONUS OFFER ♥ ♥♥
Once this bundle is downloaded, you will be directed to receive you FREE eBook: Birdseed: A Guide to Teaching Emotional Intelligence in the Primary & Secondary Classroom: Daily Activity to Foster Social-Emotional Development & Personal Growth.
Birdseed is endorsed by The Colorado Department of Education, by positive psychology guru and best-selling NY Times author Shawn Achor, and by psychologists, teachers, and students worldwide.
Inside, you'll find a collection of THE BEST 365 inspirational quotes, (organized by theme for quick reference) along with a novel way to use them on a daily basis in any classroom to foster character development. This is an activity (referred to as "Birdseed") every secondary teacher can use to create an environment conducive to authentic learning (Have a closer peek at Birdseed in my store.).
This 7 Habits bundle is shared as a Word document so you can alter font or content as you wish.
Thanks for shopping with me!
I sincerely want you to be 100% happy with your purchase or I will work to make it so. If you want alterations made or would like me to add something to this bundle, let me know! I'm open to ideas and will be adding to this package. (You will receive emails notifying you when I've added to the bundle, and you can download it again for free.)
Please feel free to email me with questions, concerns, or feedback. Contact me here under the "Ask a Question" tab on my store front.
KEY WORDS: Health, Self-esteem, decision making, confidence building, social skills, life-skills, emotional intelligence, social-emotional domain, middle school, high school, inspirational writing, 7 Habits unit plan, 7 Habits lesson plans, PSHE, Health writing assignment, 7 habits of highly effective people, bundle resources, Essay Prompts, mini-lessons, Health Curriculum, Health Unit, Advisory curriculum