Note: This crossword is meant to be used after students have read the book.
This crossword puzzle focuses on quotations from the story. Students are required to either provide a missing word from a quotation or follow other instructions in the clue, such as "Identify the speaker," "To whom is Huck referring in this quotation?", or "To whom is the king speaking?". Tests students reading-for-detail skills!
* Identify the speaker: “I reckon the world is coming to an end. I never see the beat of it in all my born days.” (Aunt Sally)
* Pap always said it warn’t harm to borrow things if you was meaning to pay them back some time; but the widow said it warn’t anything but a ___ name for stealing... (Huck) (soft)
* Identify the speaker: “You got to invent all the difficulties.” (Tom)
Like my products? Take a look at my LOOKING GOOD ON PAPER line—great writing lessons, some barely touched on in textbooks, based on my years of teaching “in the trenches”!
And don’t miss my other unique products over THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN shown below. View them in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN edition—Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! My ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! 300 questions! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus and the Huck Finn Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! Helps prepare students for reading the book!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 10 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the book. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the grid to squares in the columns directly below. Students love these puzzles—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: Complete the Simile Crossword Students use their knowledge of the book, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete similes from the story! A great way to teach figurative language!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: Anagram Crossword Students decipher common terms from the novel. The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 4 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Based on the Novel! Great objective test reviews!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: “Creturs” Crossword—Fun crossword based on the animals mentioned in the book!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 10 Word Searches—Based on the Book! 10 categories: What Characters!; Jim; The Great Escape; Those Rapscallions!; The Peter Wilkes Ordeal; Animals Galore; The “Murder” of Huck Finn; Tom’s Gang of Robbers; Life on a Raft; Sarah Mary Who???
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: In the Words of Huck—Focuses on Dialect! Includes 43 words that Huck adds his own spin to!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: Old New Words—REALLY UNIQUE! Focuses on 41 outdated words from the story. Challenging but fun!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: Novel Quotations Crossword—Students must either identify a speaker or one being spoken to or provide a missing word from a quotation. Tests students' reading-for-detail skills!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 10 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode 10 thought-provoking quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 16 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers that relate to the theme of the book!
• THE ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN: 10 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode 10 lists of words from the book! Categories: The Mississippi River; Jim’s Escape; Pap; Bricksville; Huckleberry; The King and the Duke; Huck Vernacular; Mark Twain; Tom Sawyer; The Grangerfords and the Shepherdsons
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!