The Amazing Race of Science is designed as an end of the year review game. Students will compete in a format similar to the television show, going from task to task to complete each leg of the race and be the first team to arrive. Teams must follow clues and instructions and make their way to the various checkpoints in different areas of science.
1. Students will start each leg of the race with a challenge.
2. They will then work as a team to complete all tasks in that leg of the race.
3. Points will be earned based on the position they finish that leg of the race. First team to finish each day will earn the most points, last team to finish will earn the least amount of points.
4. Teams fill in their passports as they work their way through each task. When they reach the pit stop each day points are recorded and they receive a stamp in their passport.
5. Scores are recapped each day after competition and team flags are displayed for the current leaders.
The game is five days long with the first day as an introductory day and the remaining four days designated as legs of the race.
The game includes team challenges, detours and roadblocks. Tasks include numerous activities where students are given basic supplies and have to build something that meets certain requirements.
Other tasks include solving science puzzles. These tasks include areas of science such as States of Matter, Cell Biology, Skills of a Scientist, Skills of a Physicist, Periodic Table of the Elements, Genetics Basics and General Science. Even if these areas of science have not been covered, it is still possible to participate in the game as it has more of a general science/ problem solving focus.
30 sheets of copy paper
20 dixie cups
10 squares wax paper
10 toothpicks (can be reused)
10 eyedroppers (can be reused)
10 small cups of water (can be reused)
10 straight pins
10 pencils with erasers (can be reused)
10 ping pong balls (can be reused)
10 paper towel tubes (can be reused)
10 squares of cardboard (can be reused)
10 beakers/cups (can be reused)
10 rulers (can be reused)
30 popsicle stick or something similar
10 golf balls (can be reused)
Dry erase markers
2 Rolls of masking tape
Included in the attached file:
The Amazing Race of Science Challenges- All four legs of the race (22 challenges and an optional bonus challenge)- 22 pages pdf
Roadblocks (3 roadblocks and signs)- 6 pages pdf
Detours (6 detours and signs)- 12 pages pdf
Passport Template- 2 pages pdf
Passport Template- 2 pages Word
Passport Task List- 2 pages pdf
Passport Task List- 2 pages Word
Amazing Race of Science Teacher Notes- 12 pages pdf including day by day instructions for the game, pictures, links and list of materials needed
Amazing Race of Science Answer Key- 6 pages pdf including answers for challenges, detours and roadblocks
Amazing Race of Science PowerPoint Presentation- 16 slides
Check out these other science games in my TPT store: