A rhyming story for ELLs, "The Animals In My Zoo And The Preposition/Concept - Through," can be used in a variety of ways to complement your existing ELD curriculum. This unit contains eleven reproducible pages for classroom use, which focus on ELD vocabulary, language, speaking, reading, listening development, role-playing a story, and retelling key story details. Each reproducible worksheet includes teacher directions at the bottom of the page for ease of presentation.
Also included are vocabulary charts that you can use when you plan your lessons. There are five teacher preparation pages which include: an overview, a story synopsis, story objectives, vocabulary and language objectives, reading objectives, vocabulary charts, which include: key story and key classroom connection vocabulary, key language: (nouns, verbs, adjectives, pronouns, and suggested language frames).
The classroom connection for this story is Language Arts – understanding the concept and using the preposition "through." Children will use language from the unit and participate in a hands-on activity that has them walk or run pictures of animals through a door in a gate.
Beginning and intermediate English Language Learners in Grades 1-2 should enjoy the work sheets and activities. Their communication skills will be enhanced as they are guided through the lessons and practice reading strategies, reading a story, sequencing story events, and retelling key story details.
Student Reproducible Pages Include:
1) Directions at the bottom of the page for ease of presentation
2) Estimated time for each lesson/worksheet
3) Activities are included in the directions to make the
presentation fun and meaningful
4) An opening cover illustration page that can be used to preview
5) Two story pages that include the text and illustrations ("The
Animals In My Zoo" – parts one and two)
6) Flash Cards/Word Cards which focus on key story and
classroom connection vocabulary (2 pages – 12 flash cards)
7) Vocabulary Assessment Worksheet
8) Story Comprehension Worksheet (cut and past activity)
9) Classroom Connection Worksheet (focuses on the concept
and preposition: through)
10) A two-fold book that students illustrate and read
11) Phonics Worksheet (sound /z/ & letters Z z)
12) Phonemic Awareness Lesson – isolation/discrimination /z/
13) An application page that allows students to draw and/or
write what they have learned about the story, "The Animals
In My Zoo"
Please adhere to all copyright laws. Use of this product, beyond classroom use for students, is prohibited. Please contact me if you wish to use this product for other purposes, as this is a violation of the intended copyright. Please note that multiple licenses are available at a reduced cost.