In this project, students will design a walk-through aquarium full of exhibits containing their favorite marine mammals, fish, amphibians, reptiles, and more!
The challenge is that they must design their aquariums to scale. Thus, one inch on the map might represent 50 feet in their aquariums.
I have taught map scale in several ways over the years, using worksheet after worksheet, to introduce the concept and allow students to practice it. I used political maps, highway maps, physical maps, and more, but I felt like I needed a project to allow my students more hands-on, critical thinking exercise to learn the concept.
Recently, I developed this short project to give students just that.
Included in this packet are: a brief teacher's guide, a step-by-step set of instructions including notes and a materials list, three sample maps, and a rubric for easy grading.
If you like this product, consider purchasing these related items from my store:
1. Absolute & Relative Location Assignment: NFL Football Teams + Google Earth Tour!
2. Let's Explore the Continents! - Use Map Skills to Find Places - Bundle
3. 50 States & Capital Cities BINGO - 25 Full-Color Game Sheets
4. Pirate Pete's Treasure Map Project
: Teach hands-on geography skills in a fun, memorable way!
5. Analyze U.S. Amendments (Bill of Rights) Assignment - Constitution
6. What Time Is It? Introducing American Standard Time Zones Assignment
7. Substitute Lesson A to Z Geography World Cities & Countries
8. Create-a-Country Geography Skills Project - SCALABLE
9. Ancient Civilizations - Egypt - Famous Pharaohs Research Project with Rubric
10. Five Themes, Geography - Vocabulary Match Assignment & 3 Puzzles
11. Let's Explore America! Find American States & More on a Map
The Aquarium Map Scale Project
by Christopher Mitchell
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License