This extensive unit is all about the Arctic with a significant focus on Arctic animals, climate change, and Inuit culture and traditions. I have included a variety of different activities to reinforce student learning including graphic organizers, interactive notebook activities, a scavenger hunt, STEM challenges, formative/summative assessment strategies, and an end of unit inquiry project. I have also provided a variety of posters that include facts and readings about each of the topics. I hope your students enjoy learning with this unit as much as I did making it!
-To learn more about the Arctic climate and the animals that call the Arctic home.
-To learn about global warming and how it effects the Arctic climate and Arctic eco system.
-To learn more about the Inuit people including:
-Traditional Inuit clothing
-Traditional Inuit hunting, fishing, and gathering
-Traditional Inuit weapons
Table of contents:
1. Where is the Arctic? Poster
2. The Arctic KWL
3. My Arctic learning journey journal (includes: directions and journal booklet template).
4. The Arctic’s natural resources poster
5. Arctic facts poster
6. The northern lights poster
7. Arctic vocabulary cards
8. Arctic vocabulary interactive notebook activity
9. Arctic animal fact poster: The polar bear
10. Arctic animal fact poster: The arctic fox
11. Arctic animal fact poster: The moose
12. Arctic animal fact poster: The walrus
13. Arctic animal fact poster: The snowy owl
14. Arctic animal fact poster: The grey wolf
15. Arctic animal fact poster: The orca
16. Arctic animal scavenger hunt (includes: directions and 12 scavenger hunt cards).
17. Animals and their adaptations to the harsh arctic conditions worksheet
18. Animals and their adaptations interactive notebook activity
19. The Arctic food web cutting and pasting activity (includes: template, pictures, and assessment page).
20. Arctic animal biography activity
Climate Change and the Arctic:
21. Climate change in the Arctic poster
22. What is causing global warming? Poster
23. Cause and effect of global warming interactive notebook page
24. Climate change and polar bears poster
25. Create a global warming mind map (includes: template page and assessment page).
Inuit Culture and Traditions:
26. The Inuit people fact page
27. Inuit traditional clothing poster
28. Hunting and gathering poster
29. Fishing through the ice poster
30. Gathering mussels under the sea ice poster
31. Early Inuit hunting weapons poster
32. Inuit language and ethnic groups poster
33. Inuit inventions: Qamutiik poster
34. Inuit inventions: Kayak poster
35. Inuit inventions: Toggling harpoon heads poster
36. What is STEM? Poster
37. Inuit STEM activity: Build a kayak
38. Inuit STEM activity: Build a Qamutiik
39. STEM planning page
40. STEM step by step interactive notebook planning page
41. The inuksuk poster
42. Inuksuk graphic organiser
43. Inuksuk activity ideas.
44. All about igloos poster
45. Get hands on and build an igloo
46. The Inuit and the early domestication of dogs
47. Inuit hunters and the seasons interactive notebook spinner
48. Design a post card for the Arctic region (includes: directions and template).
49. My Arctic fact bookmark
50. People bingo: Arctic edition
51. Arctic inquiry project (Includes: directions, planning page, templates, and assessment page).