This story of a boy’s journey to become an artist is based on Tomie dePaola’s life experiences can be relevant to anyone’s dreams. This 38 page book response journal includes graphic organizers, constructed response writing, vocabulary, and story elements that include:
- Fiction vs. nonfiction
- What do you know about...
During Reading Activities:
- Important story events
-14 specific comprehension questions
After Reading Activities:
- Character analysis – proof from text
- Compare and contrast character –beginning and end of story
- Cause and effect
- Friendly letter writing - letter to author
- Main Idea
- 4 Reader's response writing prompts / text to self
- Book rating pages
- Author's purpose
- Vocabulary cards plus ABC order of vocab. words
- Beginning, Middle End
- Adjective find
- Important Nouns
-Author’s Viewpoint graphic organizer
-Create your own “masterpiece”
Can be used in large, small and individual settings. Pages can be used individually or as a packet. Also useful for assessment.
Thank you for considering this work!