This is a culminating activity for Barry Lyga's The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl.
Fanboy and Goth Girl is the story of an outcast named Donnie who loves to read and create graphic novels. In this activity, students are asked to create a comic strip, either hand-drawn or computer animated, that analyzes how a theme is developed over the course of the novel using scenes from the text. Students write a theme statement that accompanies their comic.
1) Topic vs. Theme Prezi: Prezi that covers topic and theme and the difference between the two. I used this presentation during a lesson on theme and constructing theme statements. Also included in the prezi are practice examples and an activity using songs to teach theme.
2) Theme Statement Graphic Organizer
3) Comic strip template
4) Comic strip graphic organizer for developing theme
5) Assignment sheet with instructions and project requirements
6) Instructions for using storyboardthat.com - on online platform for creating engaging comic strips