In this lecture students will be challenged to:
1. appreciate that they live at the bottom of an ocean of air called the atmosphere.
2. define the term air and explain the components that comprise air.
3. comprehend and explain how the atmosphere makes life on this planet possible.
4. understand and explain air pressure.
5. know that air pressure is measured with a barometer.
6. learn the layers that make up the atmosphere and explain the conditions and thickness of each layer.
7. grasp the explanation of why the atmosphere appears blue.
8. explain the two things that can happen to light and heat waves once they penetrate the atmosphere.
9. appreciate and explain how the planet heats unequally and how this unequal heating leads to weather.