This is a novel unit for the book "The BFG" by Roald Dahl. For each set of chapters, students will complete 3 comprehension questions, an activity with 3 vocabulary words or similes, and 1 activity which incorporates reading strategies and writing. The file also includes a folder cover, student bookmarks (color or ink-saving blackline versions), a story elements page, a book/movie comparison sheet, a suggested grading rubric, and an answer key.
The book is divided into 13 sections. One page has the questions and vocabulary, and the activity is on the back. Activities are as follows:
1. Chapters 1-3: All About Sophie (Character traits/emotions/change)
2. Chapters 4-5: Can You Pixel That? (Setting/Visualization)
3. Chapters 6-7: According to the BFG...(Point of View/writing)
4. Chapters 8-9: Snozzcumber Similes (Figurative Language)
5. Chapters 10-11: Label Maker (Visualization/writing extension)
6. Chapters 12-13: And Then... (Visualization/Sequencing)
7. Chapter 14: How Ya' Feeling? (Character emotions)
8. Chapters 15-16: Design-a-Dream (Extension Writing)
9. Chapters 17-18: Making a Connection (Extension Writing)
10. Chapter 19: To Believe or Not to Believe (Inference)
11. Chapter 20: Gotta Find Em' All (word search)
12. Chapters 21-22: Extra! Extra! (Newspaper Writing)
13. Chapters 23-24: Now and Then (Compare and Contrast)
This unit gives you lots of flexibility. I have used it with my 3rd graders for the last three years. Below are some suggestions for use:
*Print it all out and staple it into a folder for each student with the cover on front
*It can be modified for slower workers or students that are pulled for part of the day by giving them just the question page or just the activity each day.
*Allow students who have finished all of the work to watch the movie after you complete the book. There is a venn diagram to compare/contrast the book and movie included in this packet.
*This can be completed in about 3 weeks. I generally take a few "catch-up" days and stretch it out to 4 weeks.
Enjoy your adventures with Sophie and the BFG!