The Babe and I – Integrated Vocabulary and Grammar Power Point
These real world picture examples of words and their uses are a great support to language learners and students with low vocabulary skills.
Each slide has strategically placed animation to allow for class discussion. For example –
1. the word appears
2. students hold up fingers to indicate how many syllables are in the word
3. on the next click the syllabification appears and the first word disappears
My goals for this PPT were:
1. expand vocabulary
2. understand syllables (higher readers often do not require further direct instruction after completing these PPTs)
3. understand parts of speech and review daily
4. see a real world picture that students could use to create sentences
5. show the flexibility of words using affixes (agree, agreeable, disagree, agreement etc.)
6. work with partners to retain new words (the multiple choice quiz slides)
1. Foldable book -I use Laura Candler’s Vocabulary Foldable but others have used blank paper.
2. Syllable Fingers Students read the word aloud then hold up fingers for syllables before the click.
3. Record 3-Students must write the word (w/syllables), the part of speech and the definition.
4. Choose 1 more-Students choose which support to add – illustration, sentence or morphemes. Some do all three! This is an important differentiation for my students with special needs.
5. Completion for Grade - I use a timer during the definition part (1 minute). Then I give class points for how many are complete. Finally, we discuss connections during the sentence portion while my special needs kids catch up. The first week of school I grade it meticulously, to teach the procedure. Later, I walk around with a clip-board and do a quick grade. This lets them keep the finished product.
6. Brain Cues -Students use colored pencils to write prefixes and suffixes.
7. Quiz Quiz Trade -Students glue the words into their Unit Folder and carry it with them for the Kagan game of Quiz Quiz Trade (or Quiz Quiz Keep).
8. Charades - When finished with 10 words I assign one word to each team and have them act it out. The other teams may consult their notes to determine the word.
Vocabulary included in the PPT:
I only use 10, but 18 are included for you to choose.
15. Great Depression
Included in each PPT:
1. Common Core Standards - Each PPT directly addresses thirteen third grade language standards. They are listed with specific examples from the PPT.
2. Vocabulary word with and without syllables marked
3. Morphemes with highlighted colors for affixes (e.g., react, reacts, reacting, reacted, reaction)
5. Sentence - with real picture (not cartoons) and word used in context. Two sentences when the word is used in other ways in daily life. (Ex. He proposed marriage. They proposed a new bill.)
As with all PPTs – it’s probably best to run through it first and check the animations (when to click or not).
To change animations – click “animations” then “animation pane” to re-order or delete animations.
The Babe and I
by David Adler
This historical fiction book is a delightful addition to units on the Great Depression, baseball, business, money or economics. It is included in Harcourt’s Storytown.
The book is also available here at Barnes and Nobles.
Please check my store for supporting documents-
The Babe and I - Vocabulary Posters and Word Wall
The Babe and I - Interactive Vocabulary and Grammar PPT
The Babe and I - Matching Game and Quizzes
The Babe and I - Roll Read and Graph Vocabulary Game
The Babe and I – Reading Strategies and Vocabulary Test
The Babe and I – Compilation 4 pack – Matching; Test; Roll Read and Graph; Word Wall & Posters
The Babe and I – Multiple Choice PPT test
Thank you for your interest in Creative Core Integrations by Kim Shelley!