This mini-unit includes all you will need to close read about the bald eagle. It includes 4 levels of differentiated student text as well as a teacher text for modeling text coding. This mini-unit is designed to teach primary age students how to close read, take notes, and write about text. Lessons are project based. You begin by reading the students a letter from the National Park Service. The park rangers are in need of new teaching materials for the Bald Eagle Museum Exhibit tours. Students are engaged as they learn about the bald eagle in order to write an informational card. Students practice speaking and listening skills as they pretend to be park rangers teaching visitors about the bald eagle. The mini-unit consists of a 3 part close reading lesson, interactive drama, writing activity, and an optional art project.
During this lesson the students will:
- Read letter from National Park Service rangers which says they need students to help!
- Listen as the teacher reads aloud the teacher text about the Bald Eagle (text provided)
- Code text with the teacher (text and coding answer sheets are provided)
- Answer and discuss text dependent questions (questions provided)
- Talk about the text with others
- Read differentiated text about the Bald Eagle with partners (4 different levels are provided)
- Code text with partners using differentiated printable books
- Take notes on the Bald Eagle using a note sheet (note sheet provided)
- Write an informational card about the Bald eagle for the National Park Museum tours using their notes (informational card provided)
- Synthesize their deeper understanding of Bald Eagle by acting as a tour guide and teaching visitors about the Bald Eagle (costumes provided)
- Assess the quality of their informational card (assessment/checklist provided)
-Make Bald Eagle Art Project: Resist Painting (instructions provided)
- Step by Step Lesson Plans
- Printable Teacher Text
- Text Dependent Questions for Statue of Liberty teacher Text
- Printable Student books (4 different levels)
- Close Reading Anchor Charts
- Student Note Sheet
- Informational Card Graphic Organizer
- Writing Assessment/Checklist
- Interactive Drama Printable Costumes
- Art Project Instructions
You can also purchase our American Symbols Pack
which includes 4 different American Symbols at a discounted price.
Or you can purchase each symbol individually
The Statue of Liberty
The Liberty Bell
The American Flag
Do you find yourself asking, “What is Close Reading?” Visit the Core Coaches blog post
to find out more!
We would love to hear from you! Please remember to earn your free TpT credit by leaving feedback when you purchase!
Follow us to get updates on our newest products!
@thecorecoaches on Instagram
@Core_Coaches on Twitter
The Core Coaches on Facebook
The Core Coaches on Pinterest
For helpful tips, hints, and classroom strategies check out our blog!
The Core Coaches Blog