“The Barn” by Avi, is a well written historical fiction short chapter book about three children who care for their ill father in Oregon Territory, 1855. This literature study unit of “The Barn” is a full unit including a focus on writing chapter summaries, answering comprehension questions, and learning vocabulary for each chapter. This unit includes everything needed to delve into the book with an individual, small group, or entire class!
Teacher Copy Includes:
Related Common Core Standards; Chapter Summaries, Vocabulary, Vocabulary Definitions, Questions, and Suggested Answers to Questions
**Differentiated Vocabulary options: 1. students independently find unfamiliar words to define 2. students are given a list of words, organized by chapter, to define while reading 3. students are given a list of words with definitions to refer to while reading.
**Print multiple copies of the Frayer Vocabulary Template for students to use while reading “The Barn”. You could print many copies per student OR have each student keep a template to use as a reference for what to include in a vocabulary entry in their reading response notebook.
**Many questions are based on Fountas and PInnell Level R/S Guided Reading Comprehension Questions.
**Note: Answers are given to help the teacher guide the discussion - especially if the teacher has not had time to thoroughly read the text. Allow students to discuss their answers, probing for evidence from the text. A few questions do not include an answer, as the answers are interpretations from the text. It is your discretion as to how many questions should be answered, and whether the answers should be answered orally, in written form, or a combination.
Learner Copy Includes:
1. Chapter Template including instructions and lines for a summary, instructions to complete a Frayer Vocabulary model, and lines for answers to 1-3 chapter questions. (Color Images)
2. Complete Packet: Instructions and lines for a summary, instructions to complete a Frayer Vocabulary model, and questions with lines for answers per chapter
3. Chapter Questions Packet: includes instructions to write a summary and complete a Frayer Vocabulary model as well as questions for each chapter.
4. Option of defined or undefined vocabulary words for each chapter
5. Template for completing Frayer Vocabulary Models