"The Birthmark" Abridged
is a great way to teach this story if you have reluctant
or low readers. Nathaniel Hawthorne can be quite wordy, so I have gone through the story and taken out wordy parts and rephrased others. The story is kept very close to the original and uses Hawthorne's words most of the time. This condensed version takes the long, original story down to 7 pages. The paragraphs are also separated with a space for an easier reading format.
This packet includes:
► A clean 7 page abridged copy
of "The Birthmark"
► A 20 question reading guide
printed 2 to a page for easy printing
► Answer key for reading guide
► 30 Question final tes
t on the story in 2 versions
to deter cheaters.
► Answer key for final test
► Final test comes in an editable PowerPoint
in case you wish to make changes.
You can also use this abridged version with my learning stations activity on this story. See "The Birthmark" Stations
• "The Birthmark" Complete Unit - Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" Free Copy of Story by Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" Test - Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" by Nathaniel Hawthorne ABRIDGED Short Story for Easier Reading
• "The Birthmark" by Nathaniel Hawthorne VOCABULARY
• Romanticism Bundle
• Romantic or Transcendental? FREEBIE
If you need an ENTIRE semester of American literature lessons and activities at your fingertips, visit American Literature Full Semester for more stress-free planning!