"The Birthmark" Vocabulary
contains activities that help students become familiar with 30 words
from the story. Hawthorne was such a very wordy fellow!
This packet includes:
► Step-by-Step Instructions
► Clean copy
of the story with the vocabulary words underlined
► Handout with 30 words -
part of speech and definition to be filled in.
► Extension Options
: Vocabulary Hands-On Poster Activity with Rubric for Grading
and a Vocabulary Comic with Student Instruction Sheet and Example.
► Vocabulary Quiz in 2 versions
- 20 multiple-choice questions (The quiz is set up so that questions 1-10 assess the first 15 words from the vocabulary handout and questions 11-20 assess the last 15 words. Thus, you can give the quiz all at once if your students can handle 30 words, or you can give the quiz on 2 different days if you want to assess 15 words at a time.)
► All Answer Keys
The vocabulary word handout and vocabulary comic sheet is EDITABLE
in case you want to change some of the words. The rubric and quiz are also EDITABLE
The time needed for this lesson really depends on which options you choose and how much class time you give to complete it as some can be done at home. It can last anywhere from 2 to 3 hours or even longer.
The following words are covered in this packet: affinity, ardent, votaries, singular, fastidious,ineffaceably, ineludible, invariably, feeble, odious, rapturously, apprised, assimilates, tremulous, perpetuated, ephemeral, invigorated, vile, base, concoct, interminably, trifling, inestimable, superficial, conjecture, credulity, exuberance, sanguine, impetuously, unobtrusive.
_____ 2. When selecting an employee to present a proposal to the owner of the company, the boss's best choice would most likely be
A. the woman who invariably appears tremulous.
B. the young man who talks about the company rapturously.
C. the man who has odious personal hygiene.
D. the young lady who is extremely fastidious with her superiors.
_____ 11. Unfortunately, the woman's new diet plan was ___________ because she just couldn't give up desserts. Her diet lasted only 4 hours.
• "The Birthmark" Complete Unit - Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" Free Copy of Story by Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" Test - Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" Thinking Stations - Nathaniel Hawthorne
• "The Birthmark" by Nathaniel Hawthorne ABRIDGED Short Story for Easier Reading
• "The Birthmark" by Nathaniel Hawthorne ABRIDGED Story, Reading Guide, Test
• Romanticism Bundle
• Romantic or Transcendental? FREEBIE
If you need an ENTIRE semester/year of American Literature lessons and activities, visit American Literature Full Course for stress-free planning!