I created this Bite of the Mango novel study to fit the Saskatchewan ELA A10 curriculum. This particular resource fits into the theme "The Mysteries of Life" but the journal prompts can be altered to fit "The Challenges of Life" as well.
Included in the resource is:
- an introduction and pre-reading activity for the book
- Fill in the blank about Sierra Leone (answers can be found online)
- Journal Entry with simple marking guide
- Information about the Youth Criminal Justice Act to explain how Canada approaches youth crime
- Journal Entry (Child Soldiers) with simple marking guide
- The Bite of the Mango Research Presentation with rubric (topics collaborated with other SK teachers)
- Peer Evaluation rubric for research presentation
- Chapter storyboard activity
- Character outline activity
- Quotation Search (practice proper MLA format and citing evidence)
- Final Project
Each student can receive the bundle at the beginning of the novel study! Great for Teacher-Led Novel Studies or Independent.
Extra resources suggested: Ishmael Beah - Long Way Gone