Would you like to enliven history with a fun, challenging writing project? The Black Death RAFT Writing Project contains a RAFT writing project for the social studies classroom.
This project may be used as a creative research project or as a summarizing assignment to end a unit of study on the Middle Ages or another aspect of European History.
What is a RAFT, you might ask? RAFT is an acronym that stands for Role, Audience, Format, and Topic. It is a powerful writing strategy that provides rigor, flexibility, and variety.
A RAFT can be implemented in all content areas, thus making it an excellent Writing Across the Curriculum resource.
Young writers might pursue one of several genres of writing (expository, narrative, descriptive, argumentative or persuasive) to create one of several products (letter, television commercial, diary entry, etc.).
I define this further in the packet.
In this project, students have four writing options to choose from. They may role-play as a Sicilian authority figure, a Venetian trader, an English nurse, or a French tailor.
Why are RAFTS wonderful for reading comprehension assessment and writing projects?
(1) They require higher-order thinking skills: students must role-play as the character they choose and utilize unique character traits to
write a convincing response.
(2) They are extremely difficult to plagiarize or copy from the Internet. This is NOT a book report. Students must synthesize key details and create a brand new writing.
(3) As a result, students will emerge from the writing project with a much better understanding of the assigned reading. After all, they must demonstrate mastery in the project.
The packet includes (1) a classroom-ready printable of the RAFT for the Black Death;
(2) a rubric that you might use to evaluate students after completion of the project;
(3) step-by-step instructions if you should choose to create a classroom blog on EduBlogs for publication;***
(4) and a "Ticket out the Door" summarizing strategy to gauge what students learned about the Black Death in the unit or project
***Consider implementing the classroom blogging tutorial to engage your students with a blogging project.
Consider purchasing it today!
Black Death (Bubonic Plague) RAFT Writing Project + Rubric + Blogging Tutorial
by Christopher Mitchell
is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License