This engaging, interactive, first-of-its-kind comic book is the ideal way to teach kids about the African American experience in the South and how those troubled times gave birth to the ultimate form of expression: blues music. This true American original music form went on to inspire so many other genres, from jazz and country to rock, soul, R&B, rap and hip hop.
Kids follow the story of Otis, a boy from the Delta in the ‘30s, as he discovers the blues and follows it as it travels north to Chicago and becomes rock ‘n’ roll. Along the way, they learn about field hollars, spirituals, juke joints, key musicians in blues and rock ’n’ roll history, and instruments. There are even how-to pages on blues songwriting and devising your own blues name, plus further online resources in the back for those interested in exploring further.
The perfect way to bring Black History Month (African American History Month) to life!
• 24 full-color pages — vibrant and engaging
• 5.5 x 8.5 glossy book stock — sturdy and classroom-ready
• Appropriate for grades 3-12
• Historically accurate, culturally and racially sensitive
• Ideal for music, history, social studies, or writing classes or units
• Teaches history, geography, and songwriting
• Includes How-To pages on songwriting and choosing a blues name
FAST SHIPPING! Receive your order within 3 days in the U.S.!
This item is for a 20-pack of comic books. If you need smaller or larger quantities, please see the other packs listed in this store!