Amy Tan's three-part novel The Bonesetter's Daughter is captivating, relatable, and relevant. Ruth, a Chinese-American woman, struggles to find balance with her ailing mother's dementia and her own needs. When she discovers her mother's manuscript, Ruth learns of mother's past growing up in World War II-era China and of her grandmother's secrets as the grief-stricken Bonesetter's daughter. The text is complex yet accessible, and it provokes high-level discussion and engages students in analyzing the intricate relationships of the characters.
This Activities and Assessments Bundle has everything you need to teach the novel: hands-on activities, graphic organizers, and both formative and summative assessments. While geared toward AP English Literature and Composition students, it can be used with or adapted for students in grades 9-12. Both PDF and Editable Word Documents are included, so you can just print, make copies, and start teaching! Answer keys are also included for all objective assignments to make grading easy. This unit can be used while reading the novel or as a review after students have read the novel.
This bundle includes
• Graphic Organizers for each Section (3 total)
• Linguistics WebQuest Extension Activity
• Chinese Character Writing Practice Handouts
• Mystery Chinese Artifacts Activity
• Oral History Project, Example Project, and Oral History Introduction Activity
• Socratic Seminar Handouts (Prep Sheet, Outer Circle Notes Page, Directions, and Teacher Grading Sheet)
• Evidence-Based Article Analysis Activity (Article Annotation Activity and Question Handout with Questions in 4 Learning Styles)
• Discussion Questions for each Section
• Character Review Crossword Puzzle
• Introduction PowerPoint ("New American Lecture" Style) and Student Fill-In Notes Handout
• Traditional Chinese Poems Reading Activity
• TWO AP-Style Essay Tests – Prose and Free Response with Rubrics
• Reading Check Quizzes for each Section
Answers Included for ALL Activities and Quizzes!
NOTE: This bundle uses page numbering from the Ballantine Books edition (ISBN# 978-0-345-45737-0). If you are using a different edition, you may need to change or remove the page numbers on some handouts! Also, the WebQuest activity is based on public websites, so in the unlikely event that the connected websites are down, it may need to be adapted before use.