"The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak:A Study Guide is a comprehensive resource ideal for both the individual reader and for reading groups/classes.
This study guide aims to support reflective reading, not to replace it.
1. Teacher's introduction;
2. Detailed, original introduction for students/readers including: an annotated list of characters, genre, themes, symbolism, etc.;
3. Each chapter is accompanied by a detailed commentary and (as appropriate) notes on historical references, and by guiding questions (118 in all). The questions encourage readers to a deeper understanding of the background, themes, and characters of the text. NOTE: Answers are NOT given: trust the students to find their answers. The questions are designed to stimulate thought, discussion and interpretation, not to test, and can be used for self-study, homework, group discussion in class, jigsaw groups, formal presentations, written answers, etc.;
4. Ideas for groupings for classroom discussion, feedback, and presentation;
5. Definitions of key literary terms;
6. Three post-reading activities;
7. Two graphic organizers for student notes. (NO completed graphics are included, nor are they needed.)