The Book of Nightmares is a story or plot generator in the form of a digital tapestry. It’s made entirely of pictures, icons, colors, textures, edges and shadows.
The tapestry can act as an entertainment or help with kicking around ideas. It can also be put to a wide variety of uses in teaching and learning.
Many kids are likely to enjoy the themes of exploration, mystery or adventure underlying the sets of images and icons. However, with younger age groups, parents and carers are asked to review the tapestry before showing it to kids.
There are many ways to explore the nightmares and to make nightmares of your own:
- Pick a page and use the icons in any order to build a story.
- Choose a symbol on a page and follow the symbols in the same position on each page through the book to make a story.
- Choose one symbol from each page as you go through the book to form a plot.
- Use just the full page images to make a story.
- Pick a symbol page and imagine a plot with a beginning, middle and end.
- Consider the icons on a page and think of a dramatic title for the page.
- Add colors and textures from the pages to your stories.
- Count how many times the same image, as icon or picture, appears in the book.
- Grab some dice and make a story by rolling and moving from icon to icon through the book. The more dice you use the shorter the story/ path through the book.
- Alphabetize the icons on a page and make words with the first letter for each icon.
There are also many types of stories or plots to try out:
- Make a story with a theme or genre you enjoy - such as mystery or adventure.
- Outline a character’s personality, skills and/ or deeds.
- Outline someone’s day from dusk till dawn.
- Describe the stage and performances at an event or a performance such as a carnival.
- Plan a movie or genre movie including actors, sets and story line.
- Map out a community such as a village or a castle.
- Invent a planet or a massive spaceship by using a page or a series of pages to outline landscapes and cultures.
A short guide is included with some further details inside.