This literacy module, anchored by a 1000 word introduction to the Brontës, consists of a number of activities designed to improve reading comprehension, spelling, and vocabulary, in addition to research and writing skills. It provides a useful introduction to the novels of the Brontë sisters.
The pack consists of:
1. The Brontës - a factual reading text. 1000 words with biographical details and information about the better novels.
2. Multiple Choice Quiz based on the text (20 questions). This is the simplest task and is designed for the weakest students.
3. Questions based on the text. These are low order questions. Their function is to ensure understanding of the text. The final question asks students to explain difficult words from the text.
4. Vocabulary tasks. Crossword Puzzle and Word Search.
5. Writing activities. These challenge students to consider different scenarios, and write letters (2), a diary entry, a postcard, a newspaper report, and a short dialogue. A research/media task is also included. These challenging activities are writing tasks, and they expect students to demonstrate high order skills and a good understanding of the lives of the Brontës.
There are 13 pages of activities. I'm selling this as a Word document, so that it can be edited.
The solutions to the MC Quiz, Questions, Crossword and Word Search puzzles are included.
I developed this item to use as an introduction to Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre. Another activity that I use with a similar purpose is my Brontës Crossword Puzzle