Wanna go on a bug hunt? Get your net, magnifying glass, and jar and come to my backyard! “The Bugs in My Backyard” is an engaging ActivInspire flipchart. The story begins with a boy who wants to find bugs and he invites your students to join him in his backyard. Fringe vocabulary is introduced including the names of the tools for bug collecting and various types of bugs. The core word vocabulary focus includes: look, put, in, out. Your students will read the script directions (i.e. “Look for the ladybug.”) and use the magnifying glass to find the bug. Two bugs are hidden providing a field choice of two. When a bug is found, you ask, “Is it a (specific bug name)?” To assist your student in providing the yes or no answer, your student decides if the bug under the magnifying glass matches the one visually depicted in the provided script. The next interactive step the student takes is to click and drag the bug to “put in” the jar. After collecting a variety of bugs, the boy in the story decides to let them “out.” With a simple click on the jar, the bugs are out. This story is perfect for children with cognitive delays, autism, developmental delays and speech-language delays because it focuses on core words and provides visuals and twenty-five interactive pages. Realistic illustrations and visual sentence strips throughout the story aid in comprehension of the text. After the story, your students answer the question, “Did you like ‘The Bugs in My Backyard?’” They decide by clicking and dragging a happy face or sad face to the corresponding column. This flipchart can be used for small group instruction at the computer and in whole-group settings using an interactive whiteboard. Students take turns reading and activating the interactive features.
This flipchart lesson includes:
• "I can" statements (ex. “I can use/understand vocabulary, use/understand core words: look, put, in, out, and answer simple yes/no questions.)
• notes browser (yellow note icon) explains features for interactive pages
• simple, interactive Table of Contents/lesson schedule
• an interactive, visual dictionary which demonstrates the meanings of the core words
• interactive features on 25 pages to keep them engaged.
• interactive story that demonstrates the meaning of new vocabulary and sentences.
• visual sentence strips to aid in reading comprehension
• an interactive survey (“Did you like the story?”)
• lesson closure page
Please come back to our store as we continue to add more flipchart activities!
**Must have ActivInspire software.**
***The FREE personal edition of ActivInspire can be downloaded from Promethean World***