I love all of Patricia Polacco's books. I also enjoy learning about the Holocaust. Polacco's book The Butterfly is a great book because it introduces students to the topic while still being appropriate for a young age.
This unit is designed to go with the book and will take one to two weeks to complete. There are a total of five lessons - some which will take more than one day. Here are the topics for the lessons:
- introduction with KWL and vocabulary words
- characters and setting (includes Venn Diagram, sample anchor chart, posters for minor and main characters, and a sheet to describe characters)
- asking questions - thin and thick question posters, sample thin and thick questions, asking questions page
- research and writing - students research a topic from the book (French Resistance, Holocaust, Jewish traditions, etc.) and write an essay about it). Sample topics and research and rough draft pages are included
- group discussion and summary - includes questions for discussion groups with higher-level thinking questions and a page for students to complete a summary of the book.
Aligned to common core for grades 3-5 - specific standards listed in preview file.
Please download the preview file to get a better look at what is included in the unit.
This product is also available in a bundle of all my Patrica Polacco resources. See it here:
Patricia Polacco Bundle
Click the links below to see more of my reading and writing units:
Inferring with Patricia Polacco Unit
Biography Unit for Grades 3-5
Poetry Unit Mini Lessons for Reading and Writing Workshop