Word Document File
Be sure that you have an application to open this file type before downloading and/or purchasing.
The article explains the Byzantine Empire from the founding of Constantinople to the Empire's demise. It includes Emperor Justinian's conquests, Justinian's Code, the Hagia Sophia, and Theodora's influence in Justinian's accomplishments. It also includes the Nicene Creed, the Great Schism, and the spread of Byzantine culture.
Activities and Common Core Aligned DBQ Assessments included.
- 3-Page Illustrated Overview
- Multiple Choice / Document-Based Question Assessment + Answer Key
- Primary Source: Paul the Silentiary - "Descriptio Sophiae"
- C.C. Aligned Document Based Question - Assessment + Answer Key
- DBQ Scoring Rubric (allows students to easily score each other's short answers)
- Scaffolded Review + Answer Key
- Reflective Writing Activity: "3-2-1"
- "Support from Text" Guide
- Graphic Organizer: "The Byzantine Empire: Four Takeaways"
- Activity: "Identifying Images"
- "Byzantine" Crossword + Answer Key
- Colored Map: Byzantine Empire
- Blank Outline Map
- No Prep - Just Print and Go
California State History-Social Science Content Standard Addressed: 7.1.3
Store: The Medieval World and Early Modern Times