The following is a common core-based lesson/worksheet on the rise of Eastern Roman Empire or Byzantine Empire. This lesson typically follows a lesson on the Fall of the Western Roman Empire. This worksheet includes a variety of student-centered activities designed to promote active engagement and critical thinking. Several activities include:
• Do now – brief reading on the division of the Roman Empire and the creation of the Byzantine Empire – includes questions
• Art analysis – art not included on lesson but easily findable on google.com. (Show two pieces of Byzantine art – focuses students on Christianity, and wealth of the Byzantines)
• Chart analysis – Orthodox Christianity vs. Catholicism – includes several questions.
• Secondary source readings on Golden Age of the Byzantines and the building of Constantinople – includes questions.
• Primary source readings on Justinian’s Code and the building of Hagia Sophia – includes several questions.
• Numerous opportunities for class discussion are present throughout the lesson.
This worksheet can easily be modified to fit a longer or shorter class period. Feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Please follow me to receive notifications about newly uploaded products. Finally, please rate this worksheet. Thanks!