In this 3-4 week unit plan for The Canterbury Tales, Chaucer's captivating writing style along with his rich satire and timely themes will captivate even your most reluctant readers.
While most may shy away from this classic and complex text, Chaucer's approach and purpose are really connected to today's world and should be a classroom staple. This unit plan is designed to provide today's students with the tools they need to discern and conquer the text, so they can enjoy it and see how Chaucer just may be the first Wikileaks - or at the very least, a forerunner for Saturday Night Live. And - it gives you all the tools, confidence, and creativity you need and want!
To dig into the text and make connections, students will be studying the time period and making sketch notes, meeting the characters and conducting a puppet show, analyzing two of the most popular tales, reading paired texts to uncover related themes, and writing their own parody satirizing today's culture - just like Chaucer.
This unit is jam-packed with resources to bring this classic text into a modern classroom and make it relevant to teens today - in hopes they will be able to examine our own society with a critical eye. It’s classroom-tested and proven to give teachers what they need and students what they want.
No worries if you don't have a copies of this text- I've included live links to the text- all for FREE! That's the perfect solution whether you are a paper school or Google Drive school!
-Middle Ages PPT presentation with sketch notes
-Unit map and calendar, editable
-Character Passports for note taking while reading
- Guided reading for the prologue (lines 1-42)
- Characters Quiz
- Wife's Tale Lesson (guided reading for prologue, active reading graphic organizer, interactive plot review, irony analysis, claims/counterclaims analysis, figurative language worksheet paired text)
- Pardoner's Tale Lesson ((guided reading for prologue, active reading graphic organizer, interactive plot review, irony analysis, ethos/pathos/logos analysis, figurative language worksheet paired text)
- Creative parody writing project satirizing today's culture
- Traditional essay prompt for final task
- All answers
-Great looking design
This unit plan IS included in my new British literature complete curriculum! British Literature Full Curriculum
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches.
Look for the green star
next to my store logo and click it to FOLLOW ME
. Presto! You will now receive email updates about my store.
For more ideas and inspiration:
Faulkner's Fast Five Blog
Julie's Classroom Stories
Teaching Tidbits Newsletter with Email-Only Freebies
Original Cover Photography by Julie Faulkner Photography