This ever-popular activity has been adapted so that students have been asked to solve the mystery of the principals missing lunch. They must conduct research and an investigation to solve the mystery.
I have included an optional graphic organizer that can be given to students before they complete a Claim, Evidence, and Reasoning written piece.
Science and Engineering Practices in the NGSS:
1. Asking questions (for science) and defining problems (for engineering);
2. Developing and using models;
3. Planning and carrying out investigations;
4. Analyzing and interpreting data;
5.Using mathematics and computational thinking;
6. Constructing explanations (for science) and designing solutions (for engineering);
7. Engaging in argument from evidence
8. Obtaining, evaluating, and communicating information
NGSS Standard1: The Practice of Science
A: Scientific inquiry is a multifaceted activity; The processes of science include the formulation of scientifically
investigable questions, construction of investigations into those questions, the collection of appropriate data, the
evaluation of the meaning of those data, and the communication of this evaluation.