Rigorous Literary Analysis Lesson for Middle School ELA
This resource is a complete lesson with all student materials for comprehending Edgar Allan Poe’s classic short story “The Cask of Amontillado.” In this lesson, students read “The Cask of Amontillado” together and answer comprehension questions as they read. After reading the story, students construct a plot chart about the story. This lesson on “The Cask of Amontillado” contains literal and inferential questions that require use of textual evidence, as well as a rigorous, multiple choice exit ticket focused on elements of plot. This lesson can be used with 7th-10th graders and aligns to Common Core Standards RL 7.1, RL 8.1 and RL 9-10.1 (cite evidence to support what the text says, as well as inferences) and RL 7.3, RL 8.3 and RL 9-10.3 (narrative elements). This lesson DOES NOT contain the text of “The Cask of Amontillado.”
This lesson is designed to serve as a first read of the story, and to give students a comprehensive understanding of the story’s plot and characters, so they are primed for further analysis in later lessons. This lesson was designed to take two 90 minute class periods.
1. Do Now: Students reflect on ideas of revenge.
2. Building Background Knowledge: Students read a short passage on Carnivale and catacombs.
3. Shared Reading: Students read “The Cask of Amontillado” together and answer comprehension questions as they read.
4. Post Reading: Students create a plot chart with textual evidence for “The Cask of Amontillado.”
5. Exit Ticket: 3 multiple choice questions on the plot of “The Cask of Amontillado”
An answer key is provided for all parts of the lesson.
Other Resources for Teaching Poe in Middle School ELA
1. Edgar Allan Poe Biography Stations
2. The Raven Comprehension
3. The Tell Tale Heart Comprehension and Suspense Analysis
4. The Tell Tale Heart: Citing Evidence to Support Claims
Other ELA Lesson Plans:
Connotation and Denotation
How to get TpT credit to use on future purchases:
Go to your My Purchases
page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback
button. Each time you give feedback, TpT gives you feedback credits that you can use to lower the cost of your future purchases. I value your feedback greatly.
Click the Green Star to follow me to get updates on sales and new resources.