Use this puzzle to familiarize students with the book before reading! Students provide synonyms for 50 new words from the story.
* Swanky ANSWER: fancy
* Qualms ANSWER: doubts
* Incognito ANSWER: disguised
* Rubberneck ANSWER: onlooker
A good way to introduce students to the book! Makes a great extra-credit assignment!
Like my products? Take a look at my LOOKING GOOD ON PAPER line—great writing lessons, some barely touched on in textbooks, based on my years of teaching “in the trenches”!
Here are my unique products over THE CATCHER IN THE RYE. Many are perfect for between lessons, at the end of the day, or for early test finishers!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE CATCHER IN THE RYE edition—A Handy Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• THE CATCHER IN THE RYE: 45-Word Prereading Crossword! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Contains the words from the Words to Know list from Bookmarks Plus (see above). Use both products to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE CATCHER IN THE RYE 25 Words-to-Know crossword—Use with Bookmarks Plus! A fun way to reinforce the meanings of the 25 Words to Know listed on the bookmarks!
• THE CATCHER IN THE RYE: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are merged into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds and a good spelling workout!
• THE CATCHER IN THE RYE: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Challenging but fun! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE CATCHER IN THE RYE: 16 Theme-Related Quotations! Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over the books you teach!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!