The Catcher in the Rye Digital Escape Room Review
⚠️You must have cell phones, tablets, or laptops to play this game. Students should work together in small groups. This game requires students to access Google apps with a Google sign-in. Prior to purchase of this game, please make sure your school district does not block the following apps/websites: Google Apps (Sites, Forms, Docs).⚠️
Engage your students by having them play this digital escape room game AFTER reading The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger. This is a great review! Students will work in small groups to solve puzzles. This is a no prep activity--all you need to do is share a link to the game! You can share the link by posting it in your online classroom, by projecting it from your laptop, by writing it on the board, or by printing it out for students. Easy!
The game includes a self-checking Google Form, so you can step back and let students pace themselves. Once students escape, they will get a congratulations message they can show to you to let you know they've finished. For differentiation purposes, I've included a teacher guide with visuals and hints to help you coach struggling students.
This game should take average high school students about 40 minutes to play--you can adjust the time if needed.
Activities include the following:
- PICTURE PUZZLE: Students will determine whether 16 images are related to the short story, unscrambling a series of letters to find the code.
- MULTIPLE-CHOICE GRID PUZZLE: Students will respond to 4 reading comprehension questions based on an article about the author using a multiple-choice answer grid to determine the secret code.
- ARROW PUZZLE: Students will match 6 characters to their descriptions in order to find the code.
- WORD SEARCH PUZZLE: Students will match 8 words and definitions from the story, using their answers as a word search to find the secret code. A word bank is included.
- THEME PUZZLE: Students will assemble a jigsaw puzzle containing a statement related to the theme of the story. They must unscramble special characters in order to find the code.
- PLOT SEQUENCE PUZZLE: Students will review basic information about the plot and will be asked to identify whether 12 different facts about the plot are true or false. Once they discover 5 true facts, they will arrange them in the order of their occurrence in order to find the code.
This escape room game incorporates a wide range of multimedia resources, including images, Google Docs, a Google Site, a Google Form, and other encrypted puzzles.
This is a fun, collaborative experience that will engage even your most reluctant of learners!