The Cay genre unit by Theodore Taylor
An entire genre unit (4-6 weeks) with differentiated instruction based around the understanding: That experiences can change people AND That people often make difficult choices in order to ensure their survival. Skills:
Construct plans to address questions
The Unit will focus on these benchmarks:
1. Students will be able to identify prejudices in their life and understand it affects their behavior or the behavior of other people.
2. Students will be able to identify the theme of a story.
3. Students will formulate research questions from topics chosen by the teacher. All topics have to do with setting so students can see how the elements of the setting are important to the story.
4. Students will understand that water, food, tools, and shelter are necessary for survival.
5. Students will be able identify events that cause Phillip to change his perspective.
6. Students will identify the rising actions/events leading up to the climax of the story. They will be able to identify falling action that happens after.