Looking for a fun way to top off your THE CAY unit? ThemeQuotes Trivia Games are just what you need!
What is a ThemeQuote?
A ThemeQuote is a thought-provoking, value-promoting quotation that relates to a theme of a work of literature. ThemeQuotes are authored by great minds such as Gandhi, Anne Frank, Mark Twain, Pearl Buck, Thoreau, Emerson, Amy Tan, Nietzsche, Thomas Jefferson, Eleanor Roosevelt, Kipling, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and more!
ThemeQuotes Trivia Games link famous quotations to the themes of the literature you teach!
Designed specifically for classroom use, ThemeQuotes Trivia Games combine the word-recognition skills of Wheel of Fortune™ with the challenge of Trivial Pursuit™.
Students might be asked to:
* answer questions about the author
* answer multiple choice, true/false, and open-ended questions based on the book
* answer questions that are related to the content of the book
* locate grammatical errors in dialogue
* translate idioms or dialectical phrases
* define, spell, or pronounce challenging words
* complete examples of figurative language
* unscramble anagrams or word merges
* and so much more!
Students have fun while being exposed to great thinkers!
ThemeQuotes Trivia Games:
* promote values
* encourage teamwork
* develop students’ understanding of theme
* challenge students’ reading-for-detail skills
* provide a great review for objective tests
* are just plain fun!
FYI: Some of the questions go beyond the book, but that's the fun of the game. Such questions, which are usually presented in multiple-choice format, require students to rely on their past experiences and their critical thinking skills to select the correct answer of the three choice provided. It's a fun way to learn something new! Check out the preview for examples!
The Cay edition includes:
* 230 trivia questions
* 12 transparency-ready ThemeQuotes puzzles
* ThemeQuotes puzzles key
Elementary editions of ThemeQuotes Trivia Games:
* Bridge to Terabithia
* The Cay
* Island of the Blue Dolphins
* Julie of the Wolves
* Maniac Magee
* Number the Stars
* Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry
* The Sign of the Beaver
* Summer of the Monkeys
* Where the Red Fern Grows
Below are more unique products over THE CAY. View them all in my store!
• Bookmarks Plus: THE CAY—A Handy Little Reading Aid! Helps students keep track of characters and provides definitions for new words—and so much more! Students and teachers alike are delighted with these handy reading aids!
• THE CAY Trivia Game—Fun for the Whole Class! ThemeQuotes games are the only games that link famous, value-promoting quotations to the themes of the books you teach! Students work in teams to play this cross between Wheel of Fortune™ and Trivia Pursuit™ game! 234 questions!
• THE CAY: Prereading Vocabulary Crossword—50 Words! Helps prepare students for reading the book! Use with the The Cay edition of Bookmarks Plus and the The Cay Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words!
• THE CAY: Synonym/Antonym Vocabulary Crossword Use with Bookmarks Plus and the 50-word Prereading Vocabulary Crossword to reinforce meanings of new words! A unique crossword!
• THE CAY: 5 Word Searches Based on the Book! Categories: The Cay; Hurricanes; Island & Ocean Creatures; The Story; The Rescue
• THE CAY: 8 Cryptocategory Word Puzzles—Unique! Students decode lists of categorized words from the book! Categories: Names & Characters; Locations; Marine Life; Foods; Timothy; Phillip; The Island; Some Countries Involved in WWII
• THE CAY: 9 Quotefall Word Puzzles—Unique! Each quotefall is a quotation from the story. Students form individual words of the quotation by transferring letters from above the double line of the puzzle grid to squares in the columns directly below. Quotefalls can be challenging, but students love working them—and they’re great spelling workouts!
• THE CAY: Quotations & Figurative Language Crossword Students use their knowledge of the story, their knowledge of language, and their imaginations to complete these clues. All are examples of similes, metaphors, hyperbole, etc., from the story! A great way to approach figurative language!
• THE CAY: 8 Cryptograms—Encoded Quotations from the Novel! Students decode quotations from the story! Each cryptogram puzzle has its own code. Who doesn’t love a code?
• THE CAY: 6 Fractured Maxim Puzzles Based on the Book! Students rearrange “tiles” to pertinent quotations from the book. Requires students to use their knowledge of the story as well as their knowledge of spelling, phonics, vocabulary, and language!
• THE CAY: 4 Fill-In Word Puzzles—A Good Trial and Error Exercise! Students enter common words from the story into the puzzle grid, based on the number of letters in the word. The puzzle can be challenging, but each time students enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE CAY: Anagram Crossword Puzzle—Good Spelling Workout! Students decipher common terms from the novel! The puzzle can be challenging, but, as with all crosswords, almost every time they enter a correct answer, they are provided with clues for the next.
• THE CAY: In the Words of Timothy Crossword—Unique! Students “translate” Timothy’s unique words, phrases, and pronunciation.
• THE CAY: 2 Reading-for-Detail Crosswords—Challenging! A great way to check students’ reading skills!
• THE CAY: 3 Category Jumbles Word Puzzles--Different! Students unscramble words and then place the letters into a series of squares. They then arrange the letters in the shaded boxes to spell out the category word at the top of the puzzle. Students love uncovering the mystery word!
• THE CAY: 10 Word Merges—One “Word” Becomes Two! Two-word phrases from the story are blended into one “word.” Students decipher the phrases. Harder than it sounds, but a good spelling workout!
• THE CAY: 12 Theme-Related Quotations + Teaching Ideas Well-researched, thought-provoking quotations by some of history’s greatest thinkers—each quotation relates to a theme in the book!
Word-Wise Language Arts Resources
—100s of unique products over most-taught literature!
Fun Teaching~Fun Learning!