Download this popular two-week unit based on 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' and other poetry by Tennyson. It is designed for the UK curriculum Years 5 & 6 but it could be easily adapted to suit different curriculums.
In this unit, pupils will read and listen to the dramatic poems 'The Kraken' and 'The Charge of the Light Brigade' by the Victorian poet Alfred Lord Tennyson. Pupils will consider how the sounds and language patterns come alive when the poems are read aloud. Children will work towards creating their own poems about heroic battles and then they will perform them aloud.
The aims of the unit for pupils are:
• To listen to classic and narrative poems by Tennyson
• To identify poetic devices and to explain their effects
• To research the literary influences of classic poetry
• To prepare and perform a poem to an audience
• To engage with a poet’s use of imaginative language to create battle scenes.
The PDF file contains 10 full literacy lesson plans, copies of the poems and all accompanying pupil resources. Perfect for National Poetry Month!