The Chaser: A Close Reading Lesson about Unrequited Love (Grades 8-12)
What educators are saying
THE CHASER by John Collier (a riveting and thought-provoking short story)
Manipulation. Mystery. Magic.
If you like story lines filled with mystery, manipulation, and magic, you’ll love The Chaser by John Collier.
This disturbing love story stirs up lively discussions with secondary students (recommended for students in grades 8-12).
The most interesting part about using this piece as a close reading exercise (It’s only two pages long.) is that after each reading, students often change their minds about…
…what constitutes criminal intent.
…what qualifies someone as a victim.
…what types of decisions (if any) determine destiny.
What do I get?
1. A Step-by-Step Close Reading Lesson Guide
2. Editable Close Reading Text of the Week Worksheets (modeled after Kelly Gallagher’s Article of the Week and Vale Middle School’s Article of the Week Template)
3. The Chaser (Two Versions: Annotation Version and Oral Reading Version)
4. 28 Claim Cards (Two Versions: one Display Version and one Cut & Distribute Version)
5. 14 Essay Topics with Response Sheets
Additional Resource: A link to a professional reading of The Chaser.
How to get TPT credit to use on future purchases:
Please go to your My Purchases page (you may need to login). Beside each purchase you'll see a Provide Feedback button.
Simply click it and you will be taken to a page where you can give a quick rating and leave a short comment for the product. I value your feedback greatly as it helps me determine which products are most valuable for your classroom so I can create more for you.
Be the first to know about my new discounts, freebies and product launches:
***Look for the red star near the top of any page within my store and click it to become a follower. Voila! You will now receive customized email updates about this store.
…at my Website.
…at my BLOG.
Thanks for stopping by,
ELA Seminars and Secrets of Teaching