Products in this Bundle (4)
This packet contains lessons aligned to the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) for grades 3-5 with 4th grade being the target audience. This comprehensive unit includes vocabulary practice, comprehension quizzes, constructed response writing prompts with organizers for planning, and language arts lessons.
Choose between printable activities or go paperless with digital resources that are compatible with Google Classroom.Vocabulary and comprehension practice is provided with Digital Task Cards hosted by Boom Learning and constructed response questions are provided with Google Slides.
The Lexile® Framework for Reading Website reports that mid-year 25th percentile to 75th percentile of 4th graders ranges from 635L to 950L. Since this selection of books falls in the middle of this range, they are ideal for ability grouping 4th grade students.
· Chocolate Fever by Robert Kimmel Smith 680L
· The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling 770L
· Who was Milton Hershey? by James Buckley, Jr. (Non-Fiction Biography) 780L
In addition, the lesson structure for all the novel studies is the same.
· Vocabulary list including definitions, part of speech, synonyms, and sample sentences from the text
· Vocabulary Practice Booklet
· Vocabulary Book Marks
· Vocabulary Flash Cards
· Vocabulary Test
Comprehension quizzes include multiple choice questions which require students to recall details from the chapters plus higher level thinking questions such as sequencing, main idea, plot development, summary, drawing conclusions, inference, predicting, theme, understanding vocabulary, interpreting literary devices, etc.
Constructed Response Writing
Questions with organizers for planning answers are provided.
Language Arts Skills
While the skill lessons in this unit are tie-ins with the chocolate themed novels, they are designed to work as stand-alone units. This means a teacher who ability groups using the three chocolate novels can use the whole group approach to teach language arts skill lessons.
Language Arts Skills
· Prefix and Suffix Cards and Practice [Chocolate Trivia]
· Root Word Organizer
· Prefix and Suffix Jeopardy
· Figurative Language Response Cards, Organizer, and Activities
· Context Clues Organizer and Task Cards [Sentences tell about candy sells.]
· Conjunction Organizers with Task Cards that Practice Correcting Run-On Sentences [Sentences are about making chocolate.]
· Using a Dictionary Organizer with Task Cards Task Cards
· Synonym and Antonym Graphic Organizers and Analogy Puzzles [Chocolate
Be sure to check out different versions of the Chocolate Book Unit Series to determine which best fits your teaching needs and style.
Version #1 -- Chocolate Super Bundle (This product includes 3 novel studies, 1 biography study and 2 language arts skill units. Printable + digital resources are provided.)
Version #2 -- The Chocolate Touch : Chocolate Fever : Who Was Milton Hershey? Digital + Printable Book Unit (This product contains the entire printable version + Boom Learning Decks + Google™ Digital Slides.)
Version #3 -- The Chocolate Touch : Chocolate Fever : Who Was Milton Hershey? Printable Book Unit (This product contains the entire printable version.)
Version #4 -- The Chocolate Touch [Patrick Skene Catling] Abridged Printable Book Unit (This version contains vocabulary practice, comprehension questions, and constructed response writing.)
Version #5 -- Chocolate Fever [Robert Kimmel Smith] Abridged Printable Book Unit (This version contains vocabulary practice, comprehension questions, and constructed response writing.)